Wednesday 19 February 2014

The purpose of this blog

I live in Castle Donington, England

A few weeks ago I was walking through our local cemetery (I like cemeteries, the residents never bother you). I walked round the corner and came across a large concrete like installation, separated by a grassy verge.

It was very weathered and it was clear that there was bits missing, but I had a closer look and was surprised to find that the writing was in German. There were a number of panels, but almost all of them had been weathered, but it was clear that this was a memorial to German soldiers. This was intriguing. Who were these people? why were they commemorated here?

Now I already knew that during the 1st world war the local stately home, Donington Park, housed a prisoner of war camp. So it seemed likely that this was something to do with this. I contacted my local history society who confirmed this. They even provided a list of names, but no more details.

This year is 2014 and there is a lot of plans to commemorate local people who died in the 1st world war. However I like to think that we should also commemorate our opponents as well as our friends and relatives. We can argue about the cause they fought for, but not about the bravery of the men themselves.  Also if the town saw fit to bury these men with honours should they not be remembered now?

So this blog is the start of my attempt to find more information about these men. Of course I have a number of obstacles. Firstly I am English and do not speak any German. This is likely to be a big obstacle accessing German records and corresponding with people in Germany who have more information. Secondly the little research I have done, it appears that German war records are not as extensive and are more fragmented than similar UK records. Thirdly I don't know whether the Germans actually want to remember the war and may not wish to bring back painful memories.

Even so, I am going to give it a go. Hopefully the power of social media will help me. Even if I fail, just by trying I feel i will have honoured the memory of these men.

German Submariners being marched up the Baroon high street, 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment